Fogarty International Center to
Consolidate HIV Research Training Programs
Notice Number: NOT-TW-11-010
Update: The following update relating to this announcement has been issued:
- December 22, 2011 - See Issuance of PAR-12-070 (D71), PAR-12-069 (G11) and PAR-12-068 (D43).
- April 7, 2011 - See Notice NOT-TW-11-016 This Notice provides clarification and announces FIC’s intention to reconfigure and consolidate the two FIC international HIV research training programs, the AIDS International Training and Research Program and the International Implementation, Clinical, Operations and Health Services Research Training Award for AIDS and TB.
- March 9, 2011 - See Notice NOT-TW-11-015 Notice to Discontinue PAR-10-219 - AIDS International Training and Research Program (AITRP) (D43).
- March 9, 2011 - See Notice NOT-TW-11-014 Notice to Discontinue PAR-10-218 - PHASE II IICOHRTA AIDS/TB Research Training Program (U2R).
Date: February 16, 2011
Fogarty International Center (FIC)
The Fogarty International Center (FIC) announces its
intention to reconfigure and consolidate the two FIC international HIV research
training programs, the AIDS International Training and Research Program (AITRP-
and the International Implementation, Clinical, Operations and Health Services
Research Training Award for AIDS and TB (IICOHRTA AIDS TB-http://www.fic.nih.gov/programs/training_grants/icohrta/aids_tb.htm),
into one HIV Research Training Program in FY2013. FIC seeks to continue to
support the full range of HIV-related research and research capacity needs of
low-and middle-income countries, but in a more flexible and timely way. This
Notice is to provide new and current investigators with some information on the
design of the consolidated program.
The reasons for this consolidation and its design are the
- The rationale for two separate international HIV research
training programs has diminished as the research and research capacity
strengthening areas supported by the AITRP and ICOHRTA AIDS TB programs have
begun to converge. More and more of research training supported under ICOHRTA AIDS
TB is also being supported through the AITRP. The areas of training permitted
under this program will be broad and will include HIV-related research as well
as areas of critical research infrastructure needed to support independent
institutional HIV-related research capacity.
- The flexibility of the FIC HIV-related research training programs
to respond to emergent research training needs and opportunities through
competing supplements has been almost eliminated over the years. Currently,
five-year awards cannot add new countries between competing applications, and
existing budgets are too constrained to accommodate opportunities for
scientific expansion within existing awards. The program announcement for the
consolidated program will solicit applications on an annual basis to support
smaller and more focused awards. Multiple applications and awards will be
allowed per institution, as long as they are scientifically distinct. Existing
AITRP or ICOHRTA AIDS TB institutions will first be allowed to submit multiple
applications under the consolidated program in the year in which their AITRP or
ICOHRTA AIDS TB award is re-competing.
A consolidated program will provide training opportunities
to increase research capacity in more explicit and focused ways, and over a
wider range of research and research infrastructure areas at the low-and
middle-income country institutions.
ARE NOT BEING SOLICITED AT THIS TIME.
Please direct all inquiries to:
Division of International Training and Research
Fogarty International Center, NIH
Building 31, Room B2-C39
31 Center Drive, MSC-2220
Bethesda, MD 20892-2220 USA
Weekly TOC for this Announcement
NIH Funding Opportunities and Notices