Notice Number: NOT-OD-05-007 (See also, NOT-OD-05-043)
Release Date: November 02, 2004
National Institutes of Health (NIH), (http://www.nih.gov/)
EFFECTIVE DATE: Progress Reports using the newly revised “U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Public Health Service Non-Competing Grant Progress Report” (PHS 2590, rev. 9/04) instructions and forms will be accepted immediately. All progress reports received on or after May 1, 2005 must use the new version.
The newly revised instructions and forms are available at http://grants.nih.gov/grants/forms.htm. The forms available on the website continue to be provided in two formats—MS Word and PDF-fillable using Adobe Acrobat Reader Software. Free Adobe Software may be accessed at http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep.html . Grantees are strongly encouraged to access the instructions and forms via the Internet because they provide valuable links to current policy documents and allow easy navigation of the instructions. For further information, contact GrantsInfo@nih.gov.
As in the past, grantees should read the instructions carefully. The following is a list of notable changes.
Notable Changes to the PHS 2590 Instructions (rev. 9/04):
• Instructions have been revised to incorporate the new business process for centralized receipt of non-competing progress reports to all NIH Institutes/Centers. The new centralized mailing address is also included.
• The submission requirement has been changed--grantees need only submit a signed original and one signed copy.
• Information has been included promoting the use of the eSNAP system in the eRA Commons.
• SNAP Instructions have been rewritten to clarify which mechanisms are generally included in SNAP.
• The refined definition of “Key Personnel” implemented in the NIH Grants Policy Statement (rev. 12/03) has been incorporated throughout the instructions.
• The new category “Other Significant Contributors” introduced in the PHS398 (9/04 version) has been incorporated throughout the PHS2590 instructions as appropriate.
• The SNAP progress reports instructions for the first 2 SNAP questions have been modified as follows:
• Key Personnel Report Format Page: The request for a Social Security Number is now limited to only to the last four digits.
• All applicable policy changes that have been implemented since the 5/01 version have been incorporated; e.g., requirement for update on data sharing plan; requirement for update on sharing model organisms; and requirement for Human Subjects Education for any new key personnel and other significant contributors involved in human subjects research.
• Specific instructions for SBIRs & STTRs for progress report submission have been added.
Inquires about preparing a specific progress report should be directed to the program official and/or grants management specialist in the awarding component.
General inquires about the changes to the actual form pages and instructions may be directed to:
Division of Grants Policy
Office of Policy for Extramural Research Administration
National Institutes of Health
6705 Rockledge Drive, Suite 350
Bethesda, MD 20892
Telephone: (301) 435-0938
FAX: (301) 435-3059
Weekly TOC for this Announcement
NIH Funding Opportunities and Notices
Office of Extramural
National Institutes of Health (NIH)
9000 Rockville Pike
Bethesda, Maryland 20892
Department of Health
and Human Services (HHS)