NIH is piloting the ability to accept multi-project (also known as multi-component or complex) applications electronically through Grants.gov using the SF424 R&R form set. The Grants.gov downloadable forms currently used for most NIH opportunities cannot support our multi-project requirements. Consequently, we have developed a web-based interface called ASSIST (Application Submission System & Interface for Submission Tracking) for the preparation and submission of multi-project applications.
ASSIST allows applicants to:
- Use current eRA Commons credentials to access ASSIST
- Delegate application preparation responsibilities to multiple users within and outside the applicant organization while maintaining appropriate access control and security
- Populate data from established eRA Commons profiles
- Run validations on federal-wide and agency business rules prior to submission
- Take advantage of automatic generation of the table of contents, headers, footers, page numbers, etc.
- Print/preview applications in the format used by the agency prior to submission
- Present to reviewers clear, color PDF images, rather than scanned versions of the application
- Avoid the hassle of preparing and shipping multiple paper copies
See the transition timeline to learn about where complex activity codes are in the process of be moved to electronic submission.
Back to Applying Electronically.